Avionics are advanced electronics used in aircraft, spacecraft and satellites. These systems perform various functions including communication, navigation, flight control, display systems, flight management etc. There is a great need for advanced avionics in civil, military and space systems.
- For better flight control, performing computations and increased control over flight control surfaces.
- For navigation, provide information using sensors like Altitude and Head Reference System (AHRS).
- Provide air data like altitude, atmospheric pressure, temperature, etc.
- Reduce crew workload.
- Increased safety for crew and passengers.
- Reduction in aircraft weight which can be translated into increased number of passengers or long range.
- All weather operation
- Reduction in aircraft maintenance cost.
- Avionics in fighter aircraft eliminates the need for a second crew member like navigator, observer etc., which helps in reducing the training costs.
- A single seat fighter is lighter and costs less than an equivalent two seat version.
- Improved aircraft performance, control and better handling.
- Reduction in maintenance costs.
- Secure communication.
- Fly-by-wire communication system used for space vehicle’s attitude and translation control.
- Sensors used in the spacecraft for obtaining data.
- Autopilot redundancy system.
- On-board computers used in satellites for processing the data.