Commands to install all updates in Ubuntu Linux
- November 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM #2165Santhosh Kumar DKeymaster
sudo apt-get update
This command will download information about all available packages to be updated. You can use this data to perform upgrades or search for details about an update.
sudo apt-get upgrade
This command will install the newest versions of all packages that are currently installed on the system. New packages are installed if required. This will not remove any existing packages.
sudo apt-get full-upgrade
This command will do the function of an
upgradecommand and it will also remove any existing packages if required to upgrade the system.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This command will also do the function of an
upgradecommand and also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages.
apt-gethas a “smart” conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if required. The
dist-upgradecommand may therefore remove some packages.
Note: You don’t have to use both
dist-upgradeas it is not usually needed. You can choose one depending on the requirement.
sudo apt-get autoremove
This command will remove all packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are no longer necessary.
sudo apt-get autoclean
This command will clear out the local repository of retrieved package files that are no longer necessary. This will help maintain a cache from growing out of control over a long period.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- How to hide desktop.ini files in Windows 10?
- Guidelines for posting
- Guidelines for posting questions and answers
- How to type faster on a computer keyboard?
- Video game soundtracks can help you focus on your work
- Commands to install all updates in Ubuntu Linux
- How to delete MySQL database and user via command line in Linux?
- Press Windows key + Shift + S to screenshot a specific area on Windows
- How to set up secure DNS for Windows?
- How to find your Windows product key using Command Prompt?
- Browse the web in dark mode with Dark Reader
- Are you updating your camera firmware?
- 10 ways to book low-cost flights and save money on airfare
- Speed up the slow loading downloads folder in Windows
- How to delete an autocomplete suggestion from Chrome address bar?