Commands to install all updates in Ubuntu Linux
- November 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM #2165Santhosh Kumar DKeymaster@santhosh
sudo apt-get update
This command will download information about all available packages to be updated. You can use this data to perform upgrades or search for details about an update.
sudo apt-get upgrade
This command will install the newest versions of all packages that are currently installed on the system. New packages are installed if required. This will not remove any existing packages.
sudo apt-get full-upgrade
This command will do the function of an
upgradecommand and it will also remove any existing packages if required to upgrade the system.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This command will also do the function of an
upgradecommand and also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages.
apt-gethas a “smart” conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if required. The
dist-upgradecommand may therefore remove some packages.
Note: You don’t have to use both
dist-upgradeas it is not usually needed. You can choose one depending on the requirement.
sudo apt-get autoremove
This command will remove all packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are no longer necessary.
sudo apt-get autoclean
This command will clear out the local repository of retrieved package files that are no longer necessary. This will help maintain a cache from growing out of control over a long period.
- How to add a percentage in Excel?
- How to convert currencies in Google Sheets?
- How to voice type on Google Docs?
- What is Django framework?
- How to turn Google Assistant off?
- How to check the Python version?
- How to create a virtual environment in Python?
- How to change the directory in the Command Prompt?
- How to add a shortcode in WordPress PHP template file?
- Useful websites to research stocks
- How to check Linux uptime?
- How to check Linux last reboot time?
- How to ZIP and UNZIP files in Linux?
- How to change the file owner and group in Linux?
- Protect your email address with Firefox Relay